Saturday 24 March 2018

Complaints on Support and Advice

At this point of the year, I am utterly annoyed for the fact that I haven't got enough time to properly discuss Professional Practice with the tutor. The only times I can have one-to-one chat are the Pastoral Tutorials which only happens three times within a year for 20 minutes. Otherwise, tutors are 'busy, busy, busy' and never replied to a single email. It is time to figure things out by myself as I cant really be arsed to pester around anymore.

china, china, china bloody excuses!
I felt that the problem does not come from the tutors but rather from the institution. 


Let's talk about the elephant in the room


The art university is neglecting the importance of continuous engagement through discussions and learning through sharing professional and personal experiences in self-directed learning. These values are essential to achieve holistic development for future artists and designers.

However, the institution keep on increasing the quota of student intake each year without thinking of improving the learning resources. By giving the busy tutors more jobs, meetings and admin stuffs, which is taking away their time and energy for fruitful one-to-one discussion with graduating students and follow up the discussions with further research findings. There is often occasions that tutors favour certain students than others. This is a understandable circumstance: the tutors have to channel their energy to deal with other arduous tasks set by their employer, and they want to avoid other stressful matters that can prevail from students who have 'unique needs'.

The result is totally precedented: a lot of pessimistic view arising from the people in my year about the course and concerns about their future. 

This is even more frustrating for myself, which has 'unique needs' for being an international student who wants to stay in the UK after graduating. I have decided that have no faith on the tutors after not getting enough time for discussion and the long overdue pastoral tutorial follow-ups. I have to find my own solution on top of already being pressured by the stakes for me to get a professional job by the end of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment