Saturday 6 May 2017

A Creative Strategy Presentation



Expectations at the start of Level 5

Looking back at the start of Level 5, I felt confident in terms of drawing since I spend my entire holiday perfecting my drawing techniques. I wanted to get my hands down on experimentation of more complex animation techniques such as CGI. 


What goes well

I think have improved in terms of discipline and time management as I managed to submit on time for submissions even though I can't do work during Christmas and Easter for different reasons. I got more comfortable with traditional animation. Throughout the year I made animations using variation of traditional media (watercolour, graphite, collage and paint on glass). I think this is the way to go.

On the other hand, I also tried out CGI Animation using MAYA for my Character and Narrative animation, overall I am proud with the result, I do think that I am quite proficient animating and modelling but using MAYA had drained all the energy out of me. So, even though it went well, I don't want to go towards that direction. 

I have overcome my hatred towards the long process of animating and therefore I have become more keen to animate. This is mainly because I have discovered a wider range of animation techniques than last year. I can think of a suitable animation style for different narratives in order to put forth emotions into my animation.

My contextual research for practical briefs are on point! I have learned to thoroughly research subject matters, and use these relevant research materials to develop ideas for animation. As an animator, I believe that every aspects of a good animation has to reflect all the quality work put in the making process.

Problems

I feel anxious about PPP when we have to contact professionals because I am the least proactive when it comes to interacting with strangers and I don't have a strong enough ambition to get in touch with them. Moreover, in terms of researching for people to contact, I think I did badly. So I ended up with contacting just one person called Lara Lee for Creative Report, but she has not gotten back to me yet. I regret all these procrastination and also not asking Steve on how to approach people earlier.

After Bridezilla's wedding invitation project that I did over Christmas Break, getting into the industry has not been my priority for Level 5 since it has successfully run over the time I have planned to use for COP and Responsive. It has also made me question the value that I placed on my work and gave me an existential crisis for quite a while.

Future

Based on what I have enjoyed this year, what I might do in the future is to try out more experimental ways to make things move. I've looked at experimental animation videos on Vimeo, and I am intrigued by the artists' creativity to investigate unconventional ways of animation filmmaking that works.

I felt overworked this year. Thus, for the beginning of summer break, I want to have a proper rest in order to give some headspace to think for Level 6 later on. I am determined to find a tone of voice that I am passionate about and to research things that triggers curiosity. Recently, I had an interest on the idea of low-budget, sustainable filmmaking processes. I think I had found a handful of artists who focused on these processes, which is a good start to define my point of interest when it comes to animation and art in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment